1. Go for something unexpected and you will stand out from the crowd... Just make sure you have the confidence and attitude that goes with it! Zoe Saldana in Michael Kors and Lupita Nyong'o in Prada.
2. Complement a metallic and fluid dress with a statement headpiece or in this case a bold hair color.... Like Nicole Richie in Donna Karan Atelier
3. Harmonize with the event setting but AVOID looking like you're part of the decorations. Anne Hathaway is usually stunning in cool colors such as red and icy pink, but red carpet photos are so important and blending in 'til you seem one with the carpet is just not chic! Anne Hathaway in Calvin Klein Collection.
4. Who say's bold separates are not dressy? Whether monochromatic like Rihanna in Stella McCartney or tone on tone like Emma Stone, separates can be totally classy and fun! Walk on the wild side for once...
5. When in doubt go for Black and White... It never fails to look chic!
6. Break the Rules: Dress according to your definition of fabulous and let the theme come in second to your Personal Style. This philosophy might lead you down the Rita Ora road of Dramatic Lace and gladiator heels (sans the underwear oops) or towards a retro inspired dress like Dita Von Teese in Zac Posen.
Balance your outfit and always, always, always be comfortable, especially when it comes to cleavage, skirt length and heels. Just follow these rules of thumb: You should be able to jump/skip/laugh out loud without a boob falling out. Check? You should be able to bend down without showing your undies and walk graciously without your heels getting caught in your dress. If you can say yes to all these rules, you will be ready to party in style!
I hope these tips were helpful or at least entertaining....